The Durham Trail extends from the Saucon Creek in Hellertown to the Durham locks. It joins the Moravian Trail which extends from Bethlehem to Hellertown.
The name Saucon Creek comes from the Lenni Lenape Indian word Sakunk, meaning "that place where a small stream empties into a large river." The Saucon Creek empties into the Lehigh River at the beginning of this trail.
It is in Durham that the famous Durham boats were built to transport the products of the iron masters of the Durham Furnace. These boats, excellent craft handling well in white water, carried the iron to Philadelphia. The Durham boat made its final voyage on March 6, 1867. These boats played a very significant role in our early history. They were the craft used to ferry George Washington and his troops in their Crossing of the Delaware on the evening of Christmas in 1776.
The Durham Trail takes you to the famous Durham Furnace built in 1727 and to the Durham locks. Along the trail was the beginning of industry in colonial America, a significant part of our American heritage. Colonel George Taylor, owner of the Durham Furnace, was the Lehigh Valley's first Iron Master and also was a signer of the Declaration of Independence. He was probably the valley's first captain of industry.
Sites along the trail:
Water Street Park
Boehm - the first house built in Hellertown - 1747
Detwiller Plaza -
Hellertown Municipal Building - 1818
Hellertown Jail - 1872
Wagner Grist Mill - 1767
Springton Inn / Colonial Tavern
Durham Mill - 1819
Durham Furnace - 1727
Delaware Canal Lock No. 21 (Durham Lock)
Last Updated: 09/17/2013
Back to Historic Trails
Back to Troop 144 Homepage